Monday, September 13, 2004

I hate St. Truiden

No really I do.
Late Saturday night I OICed my first ever big attack (several brigades worth) on St. Truiden. The damn axis players didnt cooperate by letting me capture it in a blaze of glory. Damn Axis!

After 3 hours we held half the town and they were down to rifles. Unfortunately so were we. It ended pretty much when they blew our FB. Lets just say I was an extrememly frustrated and po'ed troop by the end. Ugh.

Kudos to all those who fought though, people listened to me, guarded depots (well some..:)), ferried troops/atg/aa's in by truck, continually spawned inf at the FB etc etc, I couldnt ask for anymore and even felt a little guilty that I didnt do a better job of directing the troops.

Still the bug has bitten me and I really cant wait for the oppurtunity to do it again.

Few things I think I will try to do differently.

1. Dont do the truck driving. If you have enough ppl ferrying infantry in , get out of the truck, you cant type while driving and you really should be on the ground directing the troops as best as possible.

2. Dont be afraid to ask specific players to do a specific task. Asking people by name gets better results than simply yelling 'need guards for depot'

3. Type in CAPS. Unfortunately thats all you have as an OIC (Comms upgrade CRS!!)

4. Use your squad to do specific roles. What do I mean by this? Well, for the attack I was on a TS channel with 10-12 other ANZACS, which means I had the best communication and control over them. What I shouldve done was micro manage that resource into doing specific jobs such as 'guard the SE depot' or 'setup and AA gun on this road and shoot inf crossing it'...Most unsquaded players wont either do it, or hear it, so if your squad is willing they are your best resource for doing those nitty gritty things that need to get done.

5. Have a plan and do some recon. Make sure you have a damn good idea of how the town is laid out. The web maps are best for that, if you can find them the ones with AI and all buildings are great. Next time if I have time Im gonna spawn in town on training server though.. Im also a fan of inserting a infantry team in early to act as recon in town.
To the second part of having a plan, well as they say no plan survives contact with the enemy, but I think you should have a least a rough idea of what you'd like to attempt, and if you have the numbers and the time and good initial battle plan does wonders. Unfortunately I sux at this. KC & Cav are the masters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home