Thursday, February 03, 2005

Do your ears a favour.

For the last cpl of years or so I've been using a dinky $15 headset I bought at Staples, mainly because I needed a microphone. Last night I realised what I've been missing. I went out and bought a decent pair of headphones (with mic) for 35 bucks (Platronic .90 audio's) and the difference is stunning. Coupled with my soundcard I put in a couple of months ago the sound is so much better in ww2ol and other games I play. I feel like an idiot for letting my ears down this long.
At 35 dollars the investment is well worth it, the Platronic .90's came fairly well recommended in a cpl of reviews I read. I would've like to buy some surround sound headphones (speakers are not an option in my house) but to get a set that perform decently means paying a lot more than I'm willing right now. Also I'm now convinced that inbuilt motherboard sound is NOT as good as a decent soundcard, invest some dollars in a SB Live or if you have a bit more splurge on a Audigy 2 card, trust me.

Sidenote: CompUSA has to be the most disorganised stores I've ever been in. I check the availibility of the headset I was buying online and it was in stock, so I go to the store to pick one up. They have headsets in the computer parts area but no Platronics, I wander over to the gaming section and find some Platronic headsets, hanging by themselves, at the end of a aisle in the Xbox section. There are .70's though. I finally track down an employee (nice guy but has only been working there 2 weeks) who goes off to see if they have any in stock, he comes back to say they should have 3 and they are next to the monster cables section?!?! This is a completely different section at the back of computer parts and there is a bunch more headsets (why are they not with the rest????) but no Platronic .90's. The sales associate notes that when the instock number is as low as 3 it might not be accurate and they could be sold out, somewhat frustrated I turn to leave and my sleeve gets caught on something from the opposite aisle...oh look a stack of Platronic .90s hanging on the end of a aisle ACROSS from the other headsets in the TVs section.
WTF Compusa? (I'm still trying to figure out the crack monkey organisation of their PC games section) Get your shit together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home