Monday, August 01, 2005

An ingame visible hardcoded CoC.

On Friday night Bruner called for someone to take command of the BEF on .hc..

*crickets chirping*

*train in the distance*

So I voluntered. Why? Because I thought I could do a better job than most.

HAH.

The first thing I did was try to get an OiC for each of the 6 BEF brigades. Talk about getting blood from a stone (though thanks to Stalker2, raygunn, quizno and Bigass who did step up). I spent a good 15-20 minutes switching between brigades, yelling on .hc, getting people to join one channel and for that managed to get 4 OiCs. 1 who was from my own brigade (no brainer), another was a non-HC member, one who was a RN officer?!? and one who was an actual brigade OiC.

At this point I organised an attack on Hoog which failed within 30 minutes. I figured it would fail anyway due to our numbers but still it shouldn't have been the cluster that it was.

See I believe in the power of delegation, I do it in my own brigade and wanted to bring that theory to the BEF as a whole. Something which I had accused higher levels of the BEF of failing at previously. My apologies to those who I accused.

The simple fact , as I see it, is that while people want to be led most of them don't want to have to do any leading of their own while being led. People are lazy.

Anyway enough of my rants and back to my particular issue at hand which was finding the 6 BEF Brigade OiCs. CRS has talked about a scalable, in game, chain of command for sometime now but the hell knows when that is coming. I'd like them to add a few / commands to give us something to work with right now.

So here are my ideas:

/coc - In game or out will list OiCs, (either player name or [empty]) in your level of command. IE If you are currently a corp commander you will see Corp OIC, Division OiCs and Brigade OiCs. If you are a divsion OiC you will only see Brigade OiCs for your division. Brigade OiCs can also see OiCs for their division.

Or possibly a div corp brigade option to the command where players can chose what level of the CoC they want to see.

The next part is harder and involves actually getting people into that CoC.

Officers - /coc [yes] will set you as the OiC of your unit (bdge, div, corp, army), unless the spot is already filled. If so then a prompt will appear for that player to relinquish the spot or not.
- /coc [no] will remove you from your current CoC spot.
- /coc [yes] [level] Where level is brigade, div, corp, army.
May also need to be some facility for players of a higher rank to remove other players from a CoC slot. Say for instance if I've been running the BEF for a while and gone idle and Luggs or someone logs on and wants to take over he can remove me.

At the the end of the day its a quick way for commanders to find sub-commanders who are actually willing to lead. Those officers who are in the AHC and don't actually want to lead can simply remove themselves from the CoC for the time being.

Needs some fine tuning but damn it would be a useful tool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home