Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Waypoints, recon reports etc.

(I'd link to the production notes piece but www.wwiionline.com is blocked by my work. Funnily enough ahc/ghc sites aren't. shhhhh.)

Gophur mentioned some cool features going into 1.20 and frankly I'm kinda excited by them.

What could potenially have a big impact is waypoints. Finally, finally we get some command and control elements for tactical groups on the ground. It's not the be all and end all but its a start.
To be a success I believe they will have to achieve two things: 1. Be easy to use and 2. Be easy to see. If they are I think you will start to see infantry players (tanks to I suppose but I don't care..:)) actually start to group up and perhaps some semi-realistic tactics start to evolve.
One of my biggest frustrations is the tendancy of infantry players to 'go it alone' and rush in to places piece meal. While, yes, it is somewhat human nature to have this 'rambo' approach to gameplay I also believe is that previously there was simply nothing there to facilitate players grouping up.
Now if a commander can lay down a waypoint(s), players would be more likely to actually go to that waypoint knowing that others will follow as well. I'd love to see waypoints setup with people grouping up to provide gun lines, covering fire etc.
Next we need quick easy voice commands, more effective LMGs (for covering fire) and good visual cues for command and control. On the topic of visual cues Gophur mentioned that different coloured tags would be introduced, not sure for who though. Hopefully OiCs, brigade members, mission members maybe (rainbow tags anyone?..:)). Also improvments to chat coming Gophur mentioned hopefully which will involve coloured text and ways to distinguish custom channels (ie 6, 55, etc).
The new tanks I couldn't give a rat's arse about.

1 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Blogger Comstar said...

I tend to find that whenever I try to group up as infantry, we all get killed, quicker.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home